In our society, we are never far from a place that sells or serves alcohol. The availability of alcohol comes with consequences, especially those stemming from drinking and driving. The consequences of drinking and driving exact a high price from individuals and society. It leads to lost productivity, lost potential, and a greater cost to health care and law enforcement.
Driving under the influence puts many at risk. The DUI consequences in TX and elsewhere are severe. Problems with drinking and driving can signal larger problems with alcohol addiction, which is where the Santé Center for Healing can help.
Consequences of Drinking and Driving
The effects of drinking and driving, whether one time or chronic, reverberate for years. The most significant is the potential for injury or death. It might involve another driver, a passenger, a pedestrian, or yourself.
Some of the additional short-and-long-term consequences include:
- Legal — you can face misdemeanor or felony charges that stay with you for the rest of your life.
- Financial — insurance rates will skyrocket.
- Practical — you face revocation of your license, which limits your ability to get to and from work or other places where you need to be.
- Employment — you could lose your job, either because you cannot drive or because your employer considers it a code of conduct violation.
- School – access to scholarships is often restricted for people with DUI convictions.
As you can see, there are many DUI consequences in TX and across the country.
Is it a Disorder?
Drinking and driving don’t automatically mean you have a drinking problem. But repeated bouts with the law can signal that you’ve not just made a mistake. You’re suffering from the disease of an alcohol use disorder.
The diagnosis of an alcohol use disorder is based on the impact alcohol has on your life. It is not just about how much you drink but is based on the problems alcohol causes in your life. If you continue to drink in the face of those problems, you may be struggling with an addiction. Some of those problems include relationship problems, difficulties at work, or school or health challenges.
Drinking and driving represent a clue about your relationship with alcohol. It might mean you have diminished capacity to recognize risky behavior. It also means it might be time to seek help from an alcohol treatment or drug and alcohol rehab center such as Santé Center for Healing.
Getting the Treatment You Deserve
Alcohol use disorder presents itself in many ways, not just through drinking and driving. Treatment of it, therefore, is also very individualized. Yet the stages of an alcohol rehab center are structured. If you decide to seek help, here’s what you can expect:
- Assessment: A comprehensive medical and psychological workup to set the stage for your treatment.
- Planning: Doctors will develop a roadmap to guide your way through rehab.
- Detox: The first step requires you to bear down and flushing the remnants of alcohol from your system.
- Counseling: You’ll work with a therapist to develop important new coping skills.
- Aftercare: Involving resources that help lower the chances of a relapse.
Your Recovery at Santé Center for Healing
One of the signs of alcohol use disorder is when someone exhibits risky behavior, such as drinking and driving. Enough has been written and said that we know that drinking hampers our reaction times and makes driving dangerous, leading to DUI consequences in TX and every other state. Ignoring the consequences can be a sign of a bigger problem that requires the services of a treatment center such as Santé Center for Healing. We offer a full spectrum of treatment resources for addressing drug and alcohol abuse, co-occurring disorders, mental health challenges, and more.
Sante’s experienced clinical staff treats the whole person, with integrity and intimacy, to promote hope and healing for the long term. Make the move. Contact Santé Center for Healing today at 866.238.3154 for an initial consultation.