You hear about the opioid epidemic all the time on the news, and justifiably so. The number of people struggling with heroin or other opioid addictions has skyrocketed over the past 20 years, with disastrous consequences. Sadly, that’s just a slice of a larger problem. Learning about drug overdose has become one of the most pressing matters in our country today.
As an individual, learning about drug overdose issues puts you in a position to be a better citizen. Being more informed means you are better able to help spot problems among friends and family and push for better policy. Rehab and treatment services available at facilities such as Santé Center for Healing, which offers a drug detox center in TX, also play a role in helping people overcome their problems with substance abuse.
Learning about Drug Overdose
Here are a few facts to consider when educating yourself on what a drug overdose is:
- An overdose means someone has consumed a toxic level of a drug that may interfere with important life functions such as breathing.
- Drug overdose injury and death can happen with both prescription drugs and illicit narcotics, as well as from alcohol.
- Men are more prone to drug abuse than women.
- Over the last few years, opioids have made up the vast majority of drug overdose deaths.
- Non-fatal drug overdoses are also a huge problem, making up a large percent of emergency room visits.
If you or a loved one are struggling with a substance abuse problem, it’s time to get help. Seek assistance from a treatment or drug and alcohol rehab center such as Santé Center for Healing. We offer a full range of treatment options, including a drug detox center in TX.
Get into Treatment
The notion of entering a treatment or alcohol rehab center may feel scary to you. But you don’t want to become another statistic. One of the things to know in learning about drug overdose is how to get help. Drug treatment centers can help put your life back on track. Knowing about the phases can help make it less scary:
- Assessment: You’ll start with a comprehensive medical and psychological workup.
- Planning: Doctors will establish a defined roadmap for treatment.
- Detox: Under the watch of doctors, you will step down your use of drugs to set the stage for the rest of treatment.
- Counseling: Individual and group therapy sessions will help you build coping skills and understanding.
- Aftercare: Resources such as 12-step programs designed to help reduce the risk of relapse.
Signs of a Drug Overdose
Perhaps the most valuable thing to know in learning about drug overdose is how to recognize when one is happening. It will be different based on the person and the type of drug, but generally, some of the clues to watch out for include:
- Low rate of breathing or no breathing at all
- Gurgling noises
- High body temperatures
Recovery at Santé Center for Healing
Death or injury from drug abuse is a significant risk when you have a substance use disorder. The drugs or alcohol interfere with good judgment, and you can’t always moderate your behavior in such a state. Learning about drug overdose and seeking treatment can help you turn a new page. The experienced staff at Santé Center for Healing offers a complete suite of treatment resources for addressing drug and alcohol abuse, co-occurring disorders, mental health challenges, and more. We seek to treat the individual, no matter his or her needs, to point them towards sobriety and a brighter day filled with hope and promise. Contact Santé Center for Healing for a consultation today by calling 866.238.3154.