Do you know someone struggling with addiction? Have you ever wondered how to help an addict? Look no further than Santé Center for Healing. We understand just how complicated a disease addiction is. However, with the right support, individuals struggling with drug or alcohol abuse can heal and make a lasting recovery.
Finding the right help for a loved one recovering from addiction or looking to enter rehab starts with getting informed and making sure you can help yourself do things like finding addiction detox services. People recovering from addiction need a great deal of support from their families and loved ones. We put together this article to give you the essential information needed to help your loved one with their addiction.
Get Educated on How to Help an Addict
If a loved one is dealing with an addiction, the best thing you can do is educate yourself on addiction and how it works. Addiction, as portrayed in popular media like TV shows, movies, and even the news, is highly sensationalized and often inaccurate. Without proper information about addiction, you could risk doing more harm than good. Organizations like SAMHSA provide a great resource of easy to understand information about addiction and treatment. Another great way to get informed is to reach out to the experts at our recovery center.
Reach Out to a Recovery Center
Another thing you can do is reach out to experts who know how to help an addict. Drug addiction rehab can help clients at every stage of recovery. Whether they need to come in for their first evaluation, detox, a residential treatment program, or intensive outpatient, these centers are purpose-built to help people recovering from addiction.
Manage Your Expectations
Addiction can be deeply frustrating for family and friends. It’s worth remembering that addiction doesn’t just hurt the person experiencing it, but the people that care about them as well. If you have a family member or loved one experiencing addiction, your wellbeing may be hurt.
Keeping this in mind while you try to help them is one of the best things you can do for both of you. Addiction can be hard to overcome, and clients may stumble along the way, but keep in mind that this is a disease they are working to defeat.
Take Care of You
We know all too well the damage that addiction can cause. As we mentioned earlier in the article, addiction can hurt the people we love and ourselves. If you have a loved one or family member coping with addiction, there are a few things you can do to take care of yourself.
- Addiction Counseling – You might think therapy is just for clients in recovery, but it can also benefit people around them as well. Having a close relationship with someone struggling with addiction can be very stressful and emotionally damaging. Seeing a counselor is a great way to make sure you are in the best place to offer help to someone else.
- Your Health – If you have a loved one with an addiction, your health could have taken a hit. Stress can cause physical health problems, along with emotional ones. Make sure you are eating, sleeping, and taking care of yourself.
- Your Life – Helping a loved one with an addiction can be time-consuming. Make sure you are still giving enough time for your activities like friends, hobbies, and work.
Contact Santé Center for Healing
Addiction can seem impossible to overcome, but with help, recovery is possible. The Santé Center for Healing knows how to help an addict. No matter your need, we have a program to fit. Some of our addiction treatment programs include:
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP)
- Aftercare programs
- Alumni programs
- Telehealth treatment services
We have over 20 years of recovery experience, and we are ready to help you or your loved one start their recovery. Give us a call today at 866.238.3154 to find out more.