As the month of May approaches, many people across the country prepare to raise awareness of mental health disorders by celebrating Mental Health Awareness Month.
During Mental Health Awareness Month, various organizations and individuals work together to promote public education about mental health and mental illness. The goal is to destigmatize mental illness and encourage people to seek help if they are struggling with their mental health.
What is Mental Health Awareness Month about?
The National Mental Health Awareness Month began in 1949. Since that time different groups and organizations have used their voices to spread the word about mental health and its consequences. People can participate in three main ways during mental health month.
1. Make others aware of the needs of people struggling with mental health problems
2. Help remove the stigma surrounding mental health disorders
3. Draw attention to the connection between mental health disorders and suicide
What Causes Mental Illness?
There are a variety of factors involved in mental health issues. Some people have mental health disorders for no apparent reason. There are some known causes of mental illness. They are as follows:
- Brain injury (usually at birth)
- Neglect or abuse as a child
- Infections of the brain
- Extreme trauma early in life
- Losing a loved one
- Significant stressors in life
What Can You Do to Participate in Mental Health Awareness?
During mental health awareness month 2019 if you have a loved one who suffers from mental illness, there are ways you can offer support:
- Let the person know that you are there for them no matter what may come
- Provide practical help for those in need such as a ride to a doctor’s appointment
- Be a good listener and encourager, many who suffer from mental illness feel hopeless and alone
- Protect any mentally ill person who is vulnerable to abuse
- Educate yourself and others about mental illness and available resources
- Become an advocate for better mental health policies
- Support research that could lead to new treatments or cures for mental illness
- Create or join a social media campaign to spread awareness about mental illness and reduce the stigma surrounding it.
If you are the one struggling with mental health issues, take this special month to find the help and healing you need. If you’re not already searching for addiction treatment programs, find one that you can trust.
Who is Affected by Mental Health Disorders?
When we think about mental illness, we think of the person who has the condition. While it’s important to recognize the suffering of the afflicted person, mental illness affects many more people. Family members loved ones, and work associates are also impacted by mental health disorders. In fact, the community suffers when its members suffer. We should all help bear the load for the mentally ill. During mental health awareness month 2019, we can step up and do our part to assist those in need.
Mental Health Awareness Month is a time to come together and support those who are struggling with mental illness. It is also a time to learn more about mental health and how to take care of our own mental health.
At Santé Center for Healing, we offer compassionate and professional care for those struggling with addiction and mental health. Some of our therapies include:
- Family therapy: This therapy is designed to help families heal from the damage that addiction and mental health can cause.
- Holistic therapy: Focuses on treating the whole person, not just the symptoms of their illness.
- Psychotherapy: This is designed to help individuals understand and manage their emotions.
- Group therapy: For helping people with similar issues support and learn from each other.
Don’t let addiction or mental health problems control your life. You can overcome your addiction during Mental Health Awareness Month by going to a quality drug rehab. Contact us at 866.238.3154, and we’ll get you on the road to recovery.