Many people who suffer from addiction also experience mental illnesses at the same time. For example, anxiety and depression are very common among those considering treatment for addiction. These two mood disorders are the most common mental health issues people face. Because they arise so frequently and can strike anyone at any time, they often lead to abuse of drugs or alcohol. Many people do this unconsciously, not realizing they are abusing substances because of their underlying mental health issue. Unfortunately, this can create a situation where individuals develop both addiction and an untreated mental health issue. Meditation therapy for anxiety disorders is one way to address mental health and help those with a co-occurring disorder heal and recover.
When Addiction and Mental Illness Occur Together
Many drug treatment centers now focus on providing holistic care. The concept of holism emphasizes that all systems of the body need to be healthy for a person to experience true well-being. It is not enough to treat addiction issues and leave mental health concerns untreated without seeking mental health services. For this reason, those struggling with nervousness can benefit from meditation therapy for anxiety disorders.
Understanding Meditation Therapy
Meditation involves using purposeful thoughts and deep breathing exercises to promote a sense of peace and relaxation. The concept of mindfulness, or remaining in the present moment, is a primary focus of most meditation therapies. In fact, these types of therapeutic interventions in anxiety treatment and depression treatment can reduce the severity and frequency of anxiety attacks and depressive episodes.
Benefits of Meditation Therapy for Anxiety Disorders
Meditation therapy for anxiety disorders can provide several benefits for those in the rehab setting. Consider the following list of advantages below:
- Lower Stress Levels: Those facing the prospect of drug abuse treatment can feel overwhelmed and frightened. This can become worse if they also experience an accompanying anxiety problem. However, meditation techniques can lower stress levels and make treatment easier.
- Improved Relationships: It is common for those struggling with mental illness and addiction to having unhealthy relationships with others. Meditation can create the proper self-understanding required for healthy relationships with loved ones and colleagues.
- Improved Self-Esteem: Poor self-esteem is a common problem among those with mental illness and addiction issues. Meditation can allow these individuals to attain a proper and healthy view of themselves.
- Better Physical Health: Those struggling with mental illness and addiction may also suffer from serious physical health conditions. Meditation can result in an improvement in cardiovascular disease, weight control, and other common problems.
Finding the Right Treatment Facility for Your Needs
Locating a treatment center that can address your needs does not have to be difficult. In cases where a person suffers from addiction and mental illness simultaneously, a meditation therapy program can improve anxiety symptoms. A skilled facility will use various holistic treatment methods to address all underlying issues at hand.
Santé Center for Healing is a rehabilitation center in Argyle, Texas. The facility provides comprehensive treatment for addiction and mental health issues. The skilled treatment staff tailors a recovery plan for each person’s specific needs and goals. This plan may include the following:
- Family therapy
- Group therapy
- Medical, nutritional therapy
- Individual counseling
- Holistic therapy
- Equine therapy
You don’t have to allow an existing addiction to prevent you from having the quality of life you deserve. You can gain access to the protocols necessary to overcome even the most severe addictions with skilled rehab professionals. If you’d like to learn more about meditation therapy for anxiety disorders, then call Santé Center for Healing today at 866.238.3154.