For many, prescription drug abuse becomes a gateway for the cheaper substitute. Heroin is one of the most addictive illicit drugs people use. Its potency causes individuals who use it to not only experience an intense feeling of euphoria but to have their brain chemistry become immediately altered. When this occurs, individuals become physically dependent upon the drug. Dependency causes individuals to need more of the drug to function normally. At this point, using heroin isn’t about experiencing a high any longer but avoiding the intense and painful withdrawal symptoms that arise.
You may wonder: How long does it take to detox from heroin at a heroin detox center? What happens to heroin detox length if you go about it alone? What are a heroin detox program’s benefits? If that’s the case, call 866.238.3154 to speak with the knowledgeable and experienced team at Santé Center for Healing about our program for heroin detox in Argyle, Texas.
What Is a Heroin Detox Program?
A heroin detox program helps individuals cleanse their bodies of the drug, with medical personnel monitoring the process and keeping it as safe as possible—no matter where they are from. Detoxing is done in two stages:
- Withdrawal or detoxification – This happens when individuals stop using heroin and start to rid themselves of the substance from their system. This process usually lasts an average of about a week.
- Post-acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) – This is the second stage, lasting for many months or even years. It includes distressing mental, emotional, and physical symptoms caused by changes in the brain chemistry due to a prolonged period of heroin abuse.
Typically, heroin detox involves medications that alleviate withdrawal symptoms and make the user more comfortable. The types of drugs used depend on the individual’s health, medical history, physical condition, and mental health issues.
What Is the Average Length of a Heroin Detox Program?
The primary factors determining your length of time in detox include your weight, age, gender, and overall health. From there, your substance abuse habit factors in next. The longer you’ve been abusing the drug, the longer your stay in detox will likely be. Typically, most clients finish detox in four to ten days.
How long does it take to detox from heroin if you try to do it on your own? The process usually fails after day three. Withdrawal symptoms begin about 12 hours after the last dose. Then they progressively worsen over the next two to three days. People who try to quit cold turkey at home usually give up quickly. The pain becomes too strong. Similarly, psychological withdrawal symptoms scare the individual back to drug abuse. In contrast, withdrawing from the drug at a medical detox center is entirely different.
What to Expect from Heroin Detox
At a medical detox facility, you undergo professional care that eases the discomfort. Typically, treatments include:
- An individualized treatment protocol design that factors in your overall condition and possible needs
- Medication-assisted therapy that allows for a pain-free experience with a considerable reduction in cravings
- Nutritional support that helps your body heal and strengthens it during this time
- Intravenous (IV) therapy to prevent dehydration
- One-on-one talk therapy that focuses on preparing you for clinical care in rehab
After four to ten days, most people succeed in ending physiological dependency. It means that you wake up in the morning without withdrawal symptoms. Your body no longer believes that it needs the drug to survive. You won’t be wondering how long it takes to detox from heroin anymore. Most importantly, you can continue with treatment to end the psychological addiction.
Don’t give in to a false sense of security and quit treatment. Instead, enroll in rehab immediately. Unless you learn how to handle triggers, stressors, and post-acute withdrawal, you’re in great danger of relapse and may need relapse prevention.
Find Support After Heroin Detox in Texas at Santé Center for Healing
So, how long does it take to detox from heroin? At Santé Center for Healing, it’s just a few days. Find out how our caring and compassionate staff can help you start the process by contacting Santé Center for Healing today at 866.238.3154.