Drug addiction affects more than just the individual who is doing drugs. It impacts their family, loved ones, and the community. When someone becomes addicted to drugs, they often isolate themselves from others because of their drug activity. This puts a wedge between them and their family and impacts your relationships. Family therapy, with its accompanying family therapy activities, seeks to create a bridge between family members again.
At Santé Center for Healing, we understand how important family connections are. That is why we help provide substance abuse treatment in Argyle, TX as well as programs at our mental health dual diagnosis treatment center to help improve relationships between your family and treat both your addiction and mental health issues at the same time. Call 866.238.3154 today to learn how we can help.
The Goal of Family Therapy
As stated above, family therapy seeks to create a bridge between separated family members. Families that are in the middle of a drug addiction crisis are not necessarily separated by space or time. However, drug use separates them emotionally and mentally.
Additionally, family therapy also helps to mend broken hearts. Drug addiction causes tensions to rise in families. Family members speak harsh words to one another in the midst of a drug crisis, and there are many regrets. Through a family therapy program, people can begin to heal and reconnect.
Finally, family therapy also reveals how each person’s actions affect the other family members. The drug user discovers how their actions harm others. In addition, if a family member is enabling the drug user, this is brought up. The therapist explores any co-dependency issues too.
Benefits of Family Therapy
Family support is critical to the recovery process, and family therapy offers many significant benefits. Some of these benefits include:
- Family support keeps your loved one motivated throughout the course of their treatment
- Family communication skills improve
- Families are educated about addiction, addiction treatment, and how to participate in relapse prevention once treatment is complete
- Family members get to voice their opinions, needs, and goals
- Mental health within the family unit is addressed together
- Families can rebuild relationships and boundaries in a healthy manner
Through various activities, an effective family therapy program will strengthen family bonds and help everyone heal.
Family Therapy Activities to Consider
The therapist will guide family members through different activities in an effort to achieve the goals. For example, some therapy activities that may help foster communication may include:
- Taking turns writing down a secret wish or desire you have
- Talk about one of your most difficult challenges
- Take turns telling about a favorite family memory
- Play a relaxing board game
- Participate in outdoor therapy activities such as hiking or boating
- Participate in art therapy as a means to eliminate stress and put feelings on paper
- Do yoga therapy together
- Get involved in music therapy, which can evoke emotions that may trigger communication
As can be seen, these are an example of some of the therapies you may expect during family therapy sessions. Your therapist will guide you through the activities.
Healing Through Family Therapy
At Santé Center for Healing, your family will experience meaningful therapy and begin to heal from the trauma of drug addiction. You may go through some uncomfortable moments during this time as you get used to communicating your feelings. However, in the end, the results will be worth it.
Additionally, the person who is struggling with drug addiction will participate in other addiction treatment therapies as well. Some of these include:
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Individual Therapy
- Trauma Therapy Treatment
- PTSD Treatment
- 12-Step Recovery Program
- Holistic Therapy Program
In fact, at Santé Center of Healing, our evidence-based addiction treatment and mental health treatment programs focus on bringing you results for starting life anew. We believe in guiding clients to help them achieve long-term healing that lasts.
Discover Family Therapy at Santé Center for Healing
Do not wait until addiction steals your family from you to get help. Take action for yourself now with professional support from Santé Center for Healing, and find out more about family therapy activities at a quality drug rehab. You can achieve sobriety with the right support and therapy. Contact us at 866.238.3154 or via our online form, and we will get you on the road to recovery so you can start focusing on what matters most to you.