Substance abuse may seem to have just come upon you. However, it’s much like a snowball effect, slowly increasing into a substance use disorder over time. The journey out of substance use may feel much longer. Recovery doesn’t happen in the short run. It takes commitment. To succeed, you need to establish goals for long-term recovery.
You could say that the intense initial treatment period involving detox and counseling is the easy part. Staying sober over the long term takes building new ways of thinking and behaving. Goals for long-term recovery are essential. The Santé Center for Healing team offers addiction services near me in Argyle, TX. Call 866.238.3154 to learn how we can help.
What Are Some Long-term Goals for Substance Addiction Recovery?
As we’ve said, recovery from substance abuse is a lifelong challenge. As with any challenge, one of the ways to make continuous progress is to set tangible, measurable, realistic goals. The same is true in recovery.
It’s essential to have goals for many reasons — reaffirm your progress and keep pushing yourself forward to become the best you. We can’t tell you exactly what goals are right for you. But some areas to consider including are your finances, career, health, education, and service.
- Financial goals — Get out of debt, seek resources for assistance, start saving for the future
- Career goals — Get a new job, apply for a promotion, ask for a raise, learn some new skills
- Health goals — Eat and hydrate better, sleep better, exercise more
- Education goals — Take classes, get your GED, go back to college
- Service goals — volunteer, help those in need, donate things you no longer need
These are just some areas to potentially focus on in recovery; life after addiction can be whatever you want it to be. With the proper care and support, you can recover, heal, and live the life you wish to live.
Benefits of Long-term Recovery Goals
Living life in long-term recovery is full of rewards and benefits. Of course, there’s the primary benefit — sobriety. Staying sober long-term can bring balance and stability to your life. You are also likely to experience improved relationships with friends and family, better physical health, increased self-confidence, more career opportunities, and more.
Some benefits of setting long-term recovery goals include:
- Improved long-term outlook — Having long-term goals provides a long-term focus and long-term rewards for staying sober.
- Increased motivation — Setting long-term recovery goals can motivate you to stay on the path to sobriety, allowing you to look beyond the moment and see the long-term benefits of sobriety.
- Enhanced self-esteem — Working towards long-term goals can also build self-confidence and a sense of worth.
The Santé Center for Healing team is here to help you achieve long-term recovery goals. We offer evidence-based treatment plans tailored to your needs and long-term support. Call us today at (Direct) to get started on your path to long-term sobriety.
THE PROCESS OF REHAB
Once you agree you need help and are open to working with a drug and alcohol rehab center, you might wonder what to expect from the experience. First, you’ll go through a comprehensive medical assessment so doctors can understand your mental and physical health state. That information will help them establish a treatment plan to guide your recovery.
For many people, the first part of treatment involves detox. During addiction detox programs, you are medically supervised as you step down from your addiction. After detox, you will have a period of counseling. You will meet one-on-one with a therapist as well as in group sessions. When counseling ends, the next phase involves setting goals for long-term recovery.
An effective rehab program will include the following:
- Medical detox if it is deemed necessary
- Medication-assisted treatment if it is deemed necessary
- Individual, group, and family therapy programs
- Holistic therapy options to be used in conjunction with traditional therapies
- Aftercare programs like peer support groups and relapse prevention
Aftercare is essential in ensuring long-term sobriety goals are met. Individuals who complete a treatment program with aftercare have higher success rates in recovery.
WHY AFTERCARE IS IMPORTANT
The final phase of treatment is called an aftercare program. Aftercare recognizes that the road to sobriety is long, sometimes bumpy, and that the individual must travel on their own. Sometimes there are setbacks. A large percentage of people relapse in their first year after treatment.
In aftercare, we will provide you with additional ongoing counseling and other support to help avoid those setbacks. You’ll also be invited to join 12-step anonymous programs made up of others on their recovery journeys. One of the crucial elements of aftercare will be to help you set goals for long-term recovery.
ACHIEVE LONG-TERM RECOVERY AT SANTÉ CENTER FOR HEALING
Santé Center for Healing can provide you with the help you need to move forward with life confidently and courageously. Our clinical staff of doctors and counselors will work with you on all phases of treatment to help you set goals for long-term recovery even after emerging from our residential treatment center in TX.
Schedule an initial consultation today by calling the family-owned Santé Center for Healing at 866.238.3154 or via our online contact form.