The symptoms of bipolar disorder can significantly affect a person’s quality of life, making it difficult to maintain relationships and manage everyday tasks. Ranging from the lows of depression to the highs of mania, bipolar disorder can significantly impact someone’s behavior and life.
At Santé Center for Healing, our team of mental health professionals is dedicated to helping individuals find the best possible treatment for bipolar disorder symptoms. If you’re looking for bipolar disorder treatment near me, contact us at 866.238.3154 to learn about our mental health treatment programs.
What Is Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder characterized by extreme shifts in moods, energy, and activity levels. These shifts can range from periods of extreme highs, called manic episodes, to periods of low depression symptoms. Symptoms of bipolar disorder can be mild or severe and usually require professional treatment for proper management.
Five Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
Many believe bipolar disorder is just feeling “hot and cold” or changing one’s personality daily. This is a stigmatizing myth. Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder characterized by specific mood states, most often known as depressive episodes, manic episodes, mixed episodes, and euthymia, or a “regular” mood state.
Here are five symptoms that are closely associated with this condition:
- Depressive episodes — Depression symptoms of bipolar disorder include feelings of worthlessness, sadness, and hopelessness that can last for weeks or months. Additionally, symptoms like low energy, trouble sleeping, difficulty concentrating, and thoughts of suicide may be present during depressive episodes.
- Manic episodes — During manic symptoms, individuals may feel unusually happy or irritable. They might also have racing thoughts, feelings of grandiosity, and an increased activity level compared to their normal state.
- Mixed episodes — Mixed symptoms occur when symptoms of both depression and mania are present at the same time. This can sound contradictory, and it is. It can show up as feeling full of energy while also experiencing suicidal ideation or being so low one cannot function but having a high sense of ego. These are considered the most dangerous states and are unique to each person.
- Rapid cycling — Rapid cycling is when symptoms of bipolar disorder occur four or more times a year. While not an actual mood “state’ but rather a diagnostic descriptor, rapid cycling makes it harder to treat the disorder.
- Psychosis — During a psychosis episode, individuals may experience symptoms such as delusions and hallucinations. These can include auditory hallucinations, or hearing things that aren’t there, and visual hallucinations, seeing things that don’t exist. These can occur during both manic and depressive episodes and sometimes in mixed episodes.
If you or someone you know is experiencing symptoms of bipolar disorder, contact Santé Center for Healing to speak with one of our mental health professionals about bipolar disorder treatment. Our team is here to provide support and help guide individuals toward a healthier, more fulfilling life.
Bipolar Disorder Treatment
Bipolar disorder is a complex condition that can be managed with appropriate medication, lifestyle changes, and therapies customized to fit each individual’s needs:
- Medication — Bipolar disorder symptoms can be managed by combining medications, including mood stabilizers, anti-depressants, and antipsychotics.
- Therapy — Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) has been proven to help those with bipolar disorder symptoms by teaching individuals how to manage symptoms more effectively. Other treatments, such as Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and Interpersonal Therapy (IPT), can also be beneficial.
- Lifestyle changes — Making lifestyle changes such as getting enough sleep, eating a balanced diet, and engaging in regular exercise are essential for managing symptoms of bipolar disorder. Additionally, reducing stress levels, avoiding drugs and alcohol, and spending time with supportive friends can help support symptoms.
At Santé Center for Healing, we are dedicated to helping those with symptoms of bipolar disorder find the best treatment plan for them. Everyone deserves to lead a healthy and productive life, so our mental health professionals take the time to get to know each person individually and create an individualized treatment plan.
Treating Bipolar Disorder with Santé Center for Healing
At Santé Center for Healing, our team of mental health professionals is dedicated to helping individuals find the best possible treatment for symptoms of bipolar disorder. Contact us at 866.238.3154 to learn more about our treatment programs.